Since 1985, Urban Dreams has been the preeminent social service provider to Des Moines’ inner city. Over the years, Urban Dreams has helped thousands of area residents overcome adversity and empower them on the path toward self-sufficiency. Programs such as Healthy Start Case Management, Community Care Case Management, Substance Abuse Treatment, and Behavioral Health Intervention Services help children, youth, and families achieve a better life.
Nevertheless, Urban Dreams’ work is far from complete. We need your help and support for it to continue. For almost 30 years, Urban Dreams has worked to deal effectively with current and emerging community issues, bridging the gap between traditional and non-traditional communities, improving public safety, and increasing the effectiveness of human service programs. The reason we have been so uniquely effective in working with hard-to-reach clients is our talented staff who have been in our clients’ shoes and have turned their own lives around.
Urban Dreams is proud of the excellent work we accomplished in 2014. Here are a few highlights from last year:
- Our 19th annual Christmas trees and food giveaway
- Began a collaboration with Des Moines Area Community College to promote a program that allows high school dropouts to earn their high school diploma while receiving vocational training
- Were finalists for the Des Moines Register’s Aurora Award, a prestigious award presented to an outstanding area nonprofit organization
- Brought government agencies, nonprofits, and academia together in July to form a coalition with the objective being to end hunger in Polk County
- Were instrumental in connecting the Inner City Urban Development Athletic League with rapper Snoop Dogg, who led a campaign to raise over $20,000 for new equipment in November
- Earned state accreditation of our mental health services and licensing of our substance abuse services were continued for another year
- Brought community representatives together in a series of meetings to discuss public safety in downtown Des Moines and how it can be improved
- Entered into a historic three-year collaboration with Wellmark to develop the successor to Urban Dreams Executive Director
We are asking for your financial support to help us continue to meet the needs and new challenges in our community. Please consider a gift of an amount that you afford to support the underserved clients, who depend on Urban Dreams not only for services but to be their voice and advocate in our community. They need us – and we need you.
There are many ways to donate to Urban Dreams.
- Check our donation page for various options
- Call us at 515-288-4142 and someone will arrange to collect your donation
- Send or drop off your tax-deductible contribution directly to us:
601 Forest Ave
Des Moines, Iowa 50314
Urban Dreams has been determined to be a publicly supported organization of the type described in Sections 509(a)(1) and l70(b)(l)(A)(vi) of the Internal Revenue Code, exempt from income taxes pursuant to Section 501(c)(3), and this determination has not been revoked.